What are mesh horse rugs or hybrid horse rugs?
Sometimes called a Horse Fly Sheet or Horse Fly Rug - these are mesh horse rugs (or combo fly rugs) which provide protection for your horse from the hot Australian sun, maintain great airflow to keep your horse cool and help to keep biting flies and insects off your horse’s skin.
Mesh horse rugs are generally cooler than some summer sheets which have limited breathability due to their high proportion of nylon or polyester. Cotton horse rugs are also a good choice for sun protection, but don’t have the same ability to keep good air circulation, particularly for horses in tropical areas.
Hybrid horse rugs have mesh sides with a waterproof section across the top. This means your horse stays dry across his back and neck when there’s a shower, while the mesh sides allowing great airflow. A perfect choice for mid-season when the weather is changing but you don’t want to be changing horse rugs 10 times per day!
The top 3 mesh horse rugs we recommend are:
The Buster Stay-Dry Super Lite makes the top of our list for it’s top of the range features and performance. This is the rug for your horse if you appreciate technically advanced horse rugs!
It’s not only great to look at, it’s also the lightest rug in the range!
The Buster Stay-Dry Super Lite is a the top choice as a hybrid horse rug because:
- Revolutionary ultra light mesh material. This is not an ordinary mesh horse rug!
- 600D ripstop and waterproof outer across the back and neck to keep your horse dry.
- Generous integrated neck cover that you come to expect from Premier Equine.
- Extra high shoulder gusset (registered uniquely to Premier Equine) for excellent range of movement.
The Buster Stay-Dry Mesh Air Fly Rug incorporates most of the amazing features of the ‘Super Lite’ but includes a more traditional mesh on the sides (rather than the ultra lightweight mesh we told you about just before).
This is a great value hybrid horse rug for horse owners who want the best!
Some of the features packed into the Premier Equine Buster Stay Drive Mesh Air Fly Rug include:
- Topline made from waterproof and breathable 600D fabric.
- Highly breathable sides made from lightweight sports mesh.
- A great fitting neck cover lined with anti-static and antibacterial material to protect your horses mane.
- Quick release chest clips.
- Oversize tail flap with double thickness.
For total breathability, the PE Combo Mesh Air Fly Rug is perfect! Durable and lightweight sports mesh helps to keep insects away from your horse.
Approximately 70% UV reflective fabric, this rug also helps to reflect the harsh Australian sun.
The Combo Mesh Air Rug includes so many of the great Premier Equine features, including:
- Extra high elasticated shoulder gusset (British design registration 4 010 772)
- Anti-Static treated.
- Double locking neck cover straps.
- A longer cut for better protection.
- Double cross surcingles keep the rug stable, even when your horse is rolling.
BONUS TIP - All Premier Equine Fly Rugs are carefully hand packaged in a complimentary, reusable zip-fastened storage bag to keep your tack room tidy when not in use and easy for carrying. They really have thought of everything for your horse!
In summary, there are many options when looking for a great mesh rug for your horse. In the end, it comes down to selecting whether you need the waterproof element of a hybrid rug or whether full mesh is more appropriate.
Contact us for any fitting or selection questions. We’re here to help!