Find answers to our frequently asked questions below.
Can't find what you are looking for? Looking for specific advice? E-mail (email@example.com) or DM us (Facebook or Instagram). We love talking horses and are always happy to assist you!
HOW DO I SELECT THE CORRECT SIZE RUG?
- Check out or blog on selecting the correct size rug for your horse here
- Refer to the quick measurement guide below:
WHAT DOES WATERPROOF/BREATHABILITY RATING MEAN?
- An example of Waterproof/Breathability rating of a horse rug is '3000/3000'
- The first number is the waterproof rating and indicates how much water the outer shell of your horses rug can withstand. The higher the rating, the more waterproof the rug.
- The second number is the breathability rating which indicates how much moisture can 'escape' out from the rug.
- Overall, the waterproof/breathability rating describes how well the rug is likely to protect your horse from rain, while keeping your horse comfortable by allowing sweat and moisture to be wicked away.
- Beware of turnout rugs with no breathability rating! They may be waterproof, but are like wearing a plastic bag and your horse will quickly become hot and clammy underneath.
WHAT DOES DENIER MEAN?
- Denier is the thickness of the thread used to produce the fabric.
- The higher the denier rating, the stronger the fabric.
- Common horse rug deniers are 600d, 1200d and 1680d.
- For horses that are turned out in herd or for those who are particularly tough on rugs, we suggest 1200d or higher depending on your individual situation.
WHAT DOES FILL WEIGHT/WARMTH RATING MEAN?
- The warmth of your horse rug depends on the amount of 'fill' incorporated into the rug and is measured in grams per square metre (eg 0g, 180g or 220g).
- Active Equine horse rugs are available in a range of weights, from 0g fill to 220g fill.
- Selecting the correct horse rug weight depends on your local climate and your individual horse.
- If your horse is particularly 'hot' or has a thick coat and only feels the cold when it is almost snowing, they may be comfortable in a 0g 'rainsheet' type rug which keeps them dry and breaks the wind but does not have additional polyfill.
- If your horse is clipped, or feels the cold, a 220g rug combined with a woollen or doona rug will give you the flexibility of adding warmth in the evening, and allowing the extra layer to be removed during the day when the sun comes out.
- Still need help selecting the best horse rug weight? Send us an e-mail or DM, we're happy to help you decide!
WHY DO YOUR NECK RUGS HAVE LESS FILL THAN THE BODY?
- One of the most common reasons for mane rubbing or hair falling out in the mane is overheating.
- For that reason, the Active Equine turnout range includes detachable neck rugs that have less polyfill than the body of the rug to give you flexibility to ensure your horse is comfortable.
- If the neck becomes too warm, moisture accumulates and combines with the natural oils in your horses mane. This can then cause the delicate mane hairs to 'grab' and be rubbed out as your horse moves around.
- To avoid this, keep the mane as clean as possible.
- Using a mane and tail spray or coat shine can assist in keeping the mane 'smooth' and reduce the possibility of tearing.
- Always keep the neck rug clean by using a neck rug or hood with satin lining along the mane. This is easy to wash and will prolong the life of your rug.
- If no under rug is used, clean your rug regularly using warm water and a soft brush to clean any accumulation of grease gently. Let the neck rug dry in shade before using again.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I RE-PROOF MY RUG?
- We designed Active Equine turnout rugs for value and performance. As such, we encourage you to care for your rugs to prolong their life for the seasons to come.
- Turnout rugs generally benefit from reproofing as they age. The amount of time your rug spends 'out in the sun' is the biggest factor.
- When not in use, we suggest bringing your rugs inside rather than hanging them over the gate. It also helps for those horses who like to take them off the gate and play with them!!
- If the water no longer ‘beads off’ your rug, we suggest using a quality re-proofer such as Nikwax or other quality product designed for outdoor fabrics.
- Remember that re-proofing will help keep the waterproof performance of your rug, however it doesn't replace the original waterproof membrane of the rug so ongoing care is always best.
CAN I COLLECT MY ORDER FROM YOUR WAREHOUSE?
- Warehouse pickup is currently unavailable.
DO YOU OFFER AFTERPAY OR ZIPPAY?
- We offer Afterpay on all orders! Simply select Afterpay as your payment method at checkout.
- Subscribe to our VIP E-mails to be notified when alternative payment methods are activated!
HOW CAN I PAY FOR MY ORDER?
- We accept payment via Afterpay, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal.
HOW WILL MY ORDER BE SHIPPED?
- We ship all orders as regular parcels with Australia Post or other courier services.
- You will receive tracking details when you order is shipped.
- Australian orders under $99 are charged flat rate shipping of $14.95.
- Australian orders over $99 include free shipping.
- International orders are shipped at cost. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for rates.
WHEN WILL MY ORDER BE DELIVERED?
- All orders will be shipped between 1-3 business days from payment confirmation.
- Please note that this time frame may vary due to circumstances beyond our control such as Australian Public Holidays.
- You will receive tracking details when you order is shipped.
- Orders shipped within Victoria are usually delivered between 2 - 5 working days. For all other states please allow between 3 - 7 working days for metropolitan areas and up to 10 working days for regional areas.
- Please refer to your individual tracking notification for further detail.
DO YOU DELIVER TO PO BOXES?
- Yes, we ship to PO Boxes.
WHAT IF MY ORDER IS LOST OR DAMAGED?
- Please contact us via e-mail as soon as possible (email@example.com)
- Include your order and contact details as well as photos (if relevant)
- Our customer service team will contact you if they require any further information.
DO YOU ACCEPT EXCHANGES OR RETURNS?
- Yes, we offer hassle free exchanges and returns on orders (other than custom products) provided that you return it within 14 days after receiving your order, the product and packaging is in its original condition and it was not a customised or clearance item.
- Unfortunately we cannot accept change of mind returns on customised products unless there is a manufacturing fault so please ensure you enter all details correctly and triple check spelling before placing your order. If you have any questions we are always happy to help prior to you placing your order.
- Returns must be accompanied by your original order details and contact details. Please do not send or e-mail us credit card numbers or other sensitive information. We will contact you directly if clarification is required.
- Please contact us prior to any returns to ensure a smooth process.
AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR RETURN SHIPPING COSTS?
- We do not cover the cost of return shipping. We recommend sending any returns via a reputable service with tracking, such as in a prepaid Australia Post satchel.
HOW LONG DO REFUNDS TAKE?
- We will process returns within 1-3 business days after receiving the goods and packaging in original condition.
- Depending on the payment method you originally used e.g PayPal or Credit Card, it may take up to 3 days for the funds to appear your account.