Riders who genuinely care for their horse will often seek out pain relief options that minimise a horse’s recovery time and help relieve tired, aching joints and muscles. These options can range from invasive options (that require surgery); pharmaceutical (that require drugs); and non-invasive options (that require neither surgery nor drugs). For those seeking out effective non-invasive pain relief options, magnetic therapy for horses is proving to be a popular choice for its ease of application, and its noticeable results. In this article, we explore what magnetic therapy is, how it works and what benefits it can provide to your horse’s health and well-being.
What is Magnetic Therapy for Horses?
Magnetic therapy is a non-invasive approach that involves the placement of static magnets on or around the site of an injury or area of discomfort. Anecdotal evidence points towards magnetic therapy positively affecting horses with:
- soft muscle tissue, tendon & cartilage injuries
- ligament inflammations
- bone conditions like arthritis, bucked shins or osteoporosis
- circulatory problems, and
- hoof conditions: navicular disease, laminitis, and poor hoof growth
How does Magnetic Therapy work?
Because every cell in a horse’s body carries a micro electro-magnetic charge, magnets are thought to support increased blood flow to the areas below them. This increased blood flow leads to increased oxygen levels which assist in the cellular removal of waste products and inflammation reduction.
Tack Tip - It is important to articulate at this stage that magnets per se do not heal. They are seen as a factor in helping create an optimal environment for healing. Scientific evidence for exactly what influence magnets have in the healing process is very limited and what exists is inconclusive. However, horse riders the world over are providing anecdotal evidence speaking to the recuperative benefits of magnetic therapy.
Video Url - https://youtu.be/sTY13Y9cUBc
How can Magnetic Therapy benefit my horse?
Riders who use magnetic therapy products like magnetic horse boots, magnetic leg wraps and magnetic horse rugs are reporting a range of benefits that generally fall into 4 categories:
- Improved quality of muscle warm-up before and after exercise
- Reduction in general stiffness
- Reduction in swelling
- Improved general well-being and improved comfort
Tack Tip - Whilst magnetic therapy may well be attributable to the above, there are a few conditions where exposure to magnets is not advised, these include:
Please seek expert equine veterinarian advice should you have health-related questions pertaining to your horse.
What Magnetic Therapy products are available?
The magnetic therapy product range is growing and with it, so too is the quality and research informing it. Whilst the following is not an exhaustive list of available products, it is a handy summary of the most sought-after products in our range:
Magnetic Horse Boot Wraps - can be used on both front and hind legs, and are anatomically designed to act as a pressure bandage on your horse's legs. They are made, from breathable Air-Tech ventilated neoprene, fasten with strong and secure velcro straps and contain soft cotton liners that house the magnets in key areas.
Magnetic Horse Hock Boots - can be used on both front and hind legs, and are made using breathable neoprene, which moulds to your horse's leg without impeding movement. Hock boots are great for use in the stable, before and after exercise or even whilst travelling. These hock boots should not be used whilst your horse is exercising. They must be at rest with a regular heart rate.
Magnetic Horse Knee Boots - can be used on front and back legs and are made using breathable neoprene, which moulds to your horse's knee without compromising movement. Much like the hock boots listed above, these boots should not be used whilst your horse is exercising. They must be at rest with a regular heart rate.
Magnetic Horse Stable Boots - can be used on front and back legs, and are made with a breathable neoprene outer skin that allows freedom of movement. Sturdy velcro straps ensure a secure fit whilst ensuring they are quick and easy to put on and take off. A suitable alternative to using wraps.
Magnetic Horse Rugs - this rug is made using Recuptex fabric technology which contains inox yarn (a stainless-steel fiber) that is woven into the fabric. This weave enables the rug to create a magnetic field around the horse’s body which may enable a more holistic healing response.
Magnetic Horse Poll Bands - this poll band is made from breathable neoprene which moulds to the contours of your horse's head and attaches easily to the head collar behind the ears. It is designed to help reduce stress levels in nervous or anxious horses and should only be used when your horse is at rest and with a stable resting heart rate.
What should I consider before purchasing Magnetic Therapy products?
- Seek Advice - before purchasing any health-related product, we always advise speaking to your trusted equine veterinarian first. They will have first-hand and comprehensive knowledge of your horse and any health conditions it may have. Attempting to solve one health problem without sound medical advice is a recipe for creating bigger problems down the line
- Do your research - take the time to understand the condition afflicting your horse and the treatments available. Speak to your equine vet and explore what treatment options are available and relevant to your horse. If your horse suffers from a condition that could benefit from improved blood flow, and it won’t create any secondary complications, purchasing magnetic therapy products may be something to consider
- Materials - As always, get to know the product before you commit to purchasing it. The fabric it is made from will enable or inhibit movement. The type of magnets used will either be ones that retain their strength or fade over time. Be aware of how strong they are especially when it comes to people around your horse who may be pregnant or have pacemakers installed
- Understand how to use your product - some magnetic therapy products can be used during exercise whilst others can not. Some will have time restrictions and recommend a gradual introduction whilst others won’t. The aim is to assist your horse in recovery and help them feel comfortable. Not paying attention to product instructions is a sure way to create new problems
Trot on by Active Equine for all your saddlery needs
Whilst the science behind magnetic therapy is still emerging, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence pointing towards the benefits of magnets in assisting recovery and overall well-being. If you’ve bought magnetic therapy products from us, share your experience in the product review section.
If after your research you are interested in making a purchase, visit us online and review our product range here.
If you’re still unsure about what magnetic therapy products are right for you, contact us here and we’ll get right back to you with the information you need.
Disclaimer: The information contained above is general in nature and should not be considered personalised veterinarian advice. Please consult your equine veterinarian for health matters relating to your horse.