FAQ Answer - Waterproof v Breathability
- An example of Waterproof/Breathability rating of a horse rug is '3000/3000'
- The first number is the waterproof rating and indicates how much water the outer shell of your horses rug can withstand. The higher the rating, the more waterproof the rug.
- The second number is the breathability rating which indicates how much moisture can 'escape' out from the rug.
- Overall, the waterproof/breathability rating describes how well the rug is likely to protect your horse from rain, while keeping your horse comfortable by allowing sweat and moisture to be wicked away.
- Beware of turnout rugs with no breathability rating! They may be waterproof, but are like wearing a plastic bag and your horse will quickly become hot and clammy underneath.